Summertime in the sports business means two things: The dog days of baseball are around the corner and if you are in the job market, you should be looking to teams that are out of season. That is where most of the job opportunities are these days. In order to keep the blog fresh, I have found the following jobs that are accepting applications for open positions.
Director of Marketing – San Francisco 49ers (Santa Clara, CA)
The Director of Marketing is responsible for all areas of advertising, brand development, merchandise, web and social media strategy, promotions, game operations, evaluating new marketing initiatives, and special events. Special events entail stadium entertainment, pre-game, post-game and half time ceremonies, sales & marketing events, including events at the 49ers training facility and stadium. Administrative duties include strategic planning, budgeting, media and agency negotiations, staffing and supervision. Key initiatives for position will focus on marketing strategy for 49ers new stadium in Santa Clara. Position could include the evaluation of bringing entertainment and production capabilities in-house. Additional Details
Vice President of Corporate Partnerships – Columbus Crew
The Columbus Crew is seeking an energetic, enthusiastic and innovative sales executive to lead the organization’s Corporate Partnerships department. The Columbus Crew Vice President, Corporate Partnerships is an integral part of the management team that contributes significantly to the overall success of the club. This position will be primarily responsible for prospecting and selling corporate sponsorship packages at all levels with the specific goal of maximizing net revenue. Creating compelling new sponsorship assets, developing valuable partner marketing programs, packaging the club’s numerous broadcast, digital media, social media, grassroots, stadium and other assets, negotiating corporate trade agreements to reduce expense, raise awareness and drive ticket sales are all critical functions of this position. Finally, the VP Corporate Partnerships is responsible for insuring the timely,accurate and effective delivery of corporate partner deliverables providing the highest level of service to our corporate clients. Direct reports will include the Senior Director of Corporate Sales, Director of Hispanic Business Development and the Director of Partnership Relations. Click here to Apply:
Vice President, Arena Operations & Entertainment – Memphis Grizzlies & FedExForum (Memphis, TN)
As a Senior Executive of the Memphis Grizzlies, the Vice President, Arena Operations & Entertainment oversees all aspects of FedExForum management to include: Guest Relations, Event Booking, Event Operations, Conversions, Office Administration, Engineering, Security, Parking and Tenant Contracting & Management. As a key member of the Executive Staff, this position will also be responsible for creating a corporate culture that motives staff to perform to their fullest and achieve corporate goals in a collaborative manner. You can click here for Additional Background
Director of Customer Relationship Management – Olympia Entertainment/Detroit Red Wings (Detroit, MI)
The Director of Customer Relationship Management is responsible for developing powerful, sales generating marketing strategies utilizing all available media to accomplish the goals of the overall marketing strategy. Effectively communicate the strategic direction to both internal and external support teams to ensure effective execution. Negotiate all contracts and marketing agreements with outside vendors. Continually monitor and analyze program effectiveness and modify strategic direction as necessary to obtain high impact results. Apply Here
Manager/Sr. Manager Business Development – NBA
The successful candidate is responsible for generating revenue for the NBA through the sale of marketing partnerships that leverage the core NBA, WNBA and NBA Development League assets including League Intellectual Property, calendar events (e.g., Tip-off, NBA All-Star, Playoffs, Finals, etc.) and marketing platforms (e.g., NBA Cares, NBA Fit, NBA Green, etc.). Apply Here
This last position was sent to me today after I posted the others. Here is the full job description.
Fan Development Representative – Los Angeles Galaxy
Department: Ticket Sales (Los Angeles Galaxy)
Reports to: Manager of Service and Business Systems, Senior Director of Ticket Sales
The team is seeking a passionate, hard-working and dedicated individual to spearhead a new position that will focus on fan development. Specifically, this position will involve managing current relationships with fan clubs; growing the fan club membership; organizing away game viewing parties and away game trips; establishing and managing a kids club; and working with college students.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Grow fan club membership – specifically through the selling of new full season seats
- Maintain and enhance relationship between front office and Galaxy fan clubs
- Manage fan club relationships at the organization level – security, banners at the stadium, singing, atmosphere at the game etc.
- Serve as primary point of contact for visiting fan clubs
- Develop a Galaxy “kids club” – establishing from the ground up including; creation of a business plan; fulfillment of all membership benefits; growing membership; ensuring the long-term success and viability of the program; integration of other departments as appropriate; maximizing sales leads generated through the program
- Seek out ways to enhance game day atmosphere
- Organize and manage away game viewing parties
- Organize away game trips/tickets for fans
- Create programs to directly connect with the student/college population within Southern California
- Manage relationships with existing fan club full season seat holders in conjunction with current LA Galaxy service specialist directives
- Work closely with ticket sales, service, marketing, PR, and operations etc.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor(s)
Specific Job Knowledge, Skill and Ability:
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Soccer knowledgeable – MLS and global leagues, understands and identifies with the soccer supporter
- A proactive self-starter
- Proven leadership experience
- Ability to produce accurate and timely reports
- Ability to think on feet and make decisions quickly that uphold the integrity of the company
- Highly motivated, naturally aggressive, with a positive attitude
- Exemplary self-discipline, professionalism, pride and work ethic
- Outstanding listening, written, and verbal communication skills
- Committed to personal integrity and team oriented
- Detail oriented with ability to multi-task effectively and with a sense of urgency, sometimes under a high level of stress
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Creativity and ability to see ideas through to successful execution
- Enthusiasm for and/or experience in professional sports sales and/or service
- Thoroughness and attention to detail
- Compliance with organizational directives
- Flexible hours required: working evenings/nights, weekends and holidays
Qualifications, Education, Formal Training and Experience:
- At least 1-3 years of sales experience (professional sports preferred)
- Experience and training in Ticketmaster, Archtics, Goldmine or other Customer Relationship Management system
- High proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Internet use, and other basic computer usage
- Knowledge of sales and customer service (sports industry specific a plus)
- Grooming – employee must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance. Good hygiene & professional appearance required. Business casual attire in office and during events. Employees may be required to wear Galaxy attire (to be provided) when representing the Galaxy in public.
- Work Environment – at times the noise level may be loud (especially during games)
- Bilingual (English & Spanish) a significant plus.
- Base Salary plus commissions and bonuses
- Full Benefits
- This is a new position at the LA Galaxy. Major League Soccer has stressed the importance of growing the league’s fan clubs. The Galaxy are committed to this philosophy and hence are dedicating an entire position and investing significant resources to this initiative. This position is a critical one for the Galaxy. The ideal candidate brings enthusiasm, solid experience, and a natural desire to make a footprint at the Galaxy and within MLS